Part of the area that became Crystal Beach was once a railroad and mail route stop named Patton, or Patton Beach. The post office operated under that name from 1989-1900. Local residents were ranchers, and many summer homes were also built there for part-time residents. In the early 1940s, the railroad closed and the community adopted the new name of Crystal Beach.
Santa Fe train at Patton, 1908
From the Melanie Wiggins Collection, courtesy of Ora Fredericksen